Living in a small space can be a real struggle. You never have enough room for yourself, and you always feel like you’re in the way. It’s hard to find a place to put your stuff, especially your desk.
If you live in a small apartment, you know what I am talking about.
You might be wondering which desk is ideal for a room where space is limited?
Today, we will talk about desks for small spaces and explain their differences as many people confuse them.
We’ve done our personal research to define each desk using an image and get a clear understanding pointing out its pros and cons.
Many types of desks fit small spaces. We chose to talk about 4:
- Wall Mounted Desks
- Floating Desks
- Foldable Desks
- Murphy Desks
What Is A Wall-Mounted Desk?
Wall-mounted desks are, as the name suggests, mounted on the wall. They are usually small and compact.
What Is A Floating Desk?
There are two characteristics of a floating desk. The first is that it is hung on the wall; the second is that it has no legs. Therefore, it saves plenty of space in the feet level.
What Is A Folding Desk Or Foldable Desk?
A foldable desk is a desk that can be folded to save space. We can call it a foldable table, as it is usually a simple table with no shelves, no drawers.
What Is A Murphy Desk?
A murphy desk is a type of folding desks that is attached to a wall. It typically has a hinged top that can be folded down to create a work surface, and it also includes shelves and drawers for storage.
So, to sum up:
- Wall-mounted desk = mounted on the wall (with or without legs).
- Floating desk= mounted on the wall but no desk legs.
- Foldable desk = a table you can fold down.
- A murphy desk = folding + floating desk.
Advantages Of Desks For Small Spaces
- The main advantage of small spaces desks is that they don’t take up a lot of space and can be installed in any spot around the house or the office.
- They are often very compact and can be folded away when not in use to save even more space.
- They don’t take up floor space.
- They are easy to assemble.
Disadvantages Of Small Spaces Desks
- They can be difficult to work at, as they are often quite small.
- They are not very stable and can be wobbly sometimes.
- Their load-bearing capacity is limited, so you can’t put something heavy on them.
Is There Such A Thing As A Window-Mounted Desk?
Yes, there is!
Manufacturers know exactly that space is a big issue for many people in houses and work environments. Therefore, they got creative and came up with a solution called window-mounted desks.
According to my research, a brand called DeskView did a great job creating a small but sturdy and reliable desk design. Its load-bearing capacity is up to 40 pounds.
Portable and lightweight, you can install it in less than ten seconds using its aerospace-grade aluminum brackets. Based on customers’ reviews, some like it and some don’t. You can check it and decide if you want to try it or not.
Tips To Effectively Work In A Small Space
- Choose one of the desks above: This will help save space and keep your working area tidy.
- Use storage baskets or boxes: These can be used to store away items when not in use and make it easy to grab what you need without having to search through a pile of stuff.
- Keep cords organized: Use cord management solutions to keep cords from getting tangled or in the way. This will help to create a more efficient working area.
- Invest in a good chair: A comfortable chair is important when working in a small space. Make sure to choose one that is adjustable so you can find the perfect position for your needs.
- Get a monitor arm: This will help to free up desk space and make it easier to work on your computer.
- Use a laptop: If you don’t need a lot of space for your desktop computer, consider using a laptop instead. This will save you even more room.
- Take advantage of vertical space: Utilize the space above your desk by hanging shelves or adding a bulletin board. This will help keep your working area organized and free up valuable floor space.
- Keep it clean: A cluttered space can make it difficult to focus and be productive. Make sure to declutter on a regular basis to help keep your small space work-friendly.
When it comes to working in a small space, having the right tools is essential. By using these tips, you can create an efficient and organized workspace that will help you get the most out of your limited area.
>>> Related: we invite you to check our 10 tips to plan your week effectively + 3 free planing tools.
Wrap Up - Desks For Small Spaces
As you can see, there are a variety of desks for small space. Whether you are looking for a foldable table, a wall-mounted desk, or a window-mounted desk, there is sure to be something that fits your needs. Just be sure to take into account the size of the desk as well as the amount of space you have available. With a little bit of planning, you can create a functional and stylish workspace in even the smallest spaces.
Despite all of the challenges presented in limited areas, there’s something special about small spaces. They make you appreciate the little things and force you to be more creative. You learn to value every inch of your space and make the most of what you have.
A small space may be cramped at times, but it’s always interesting and never boring! Thanks for reading!
We hope you’ve enjoyed this post and found it helpful. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to share them with us.
Thanks for reading!